The Stone Floor of Jack Windmill was converted into a chapel by Minna Anson, who lived at the Mills from 1910 with her husband Walter, a serving naval officer.
The chapel was dedicated by Minna Anson's uncle, Archbishop Temple of York, in memory of her father Captain Cowper Coles, the designer of HMS Captain. Click here for information on HMS Captain.
Minna Anson's Chapel
Jack was fitted with a Sackhoist driven off the Wallower, Hammond's patent sweep governor and was equipped with much auxiliary machinery.
In 1973 Universal Pictures featured internal shots of Jack and the Granary in the film "The Black Windmill".
[Text extracted from our Society's publication "Clayton Windmills" compiled by Simon Potter]
In May 2012 Jack Windmill changed hands for the first time in 35 years. Volunteers from Sussex Mills Group have been involved with works and plans to bring the mill back into a state that all enthusiastic millers would wish her to be. Please click here for further details.